Okay. THIS is sourdough.

Okay. THIS is sourdough.

I managed to get my starter tripling so I figured it was time to attempt another bake. 

It’s looking good but not quite right yet. Good ferment/sour notes in it, but the crumb was not as even as I’d like. I was having to do a lot of adjusting of times on the fly and having to go by feel. We are just coming out of a cold snap where I am and the temperature in the house has not been consistent as well as being pretty cold at night in particular. 

I mixed 50g of starter with 150g AP flour and 150g water and that sat overnight. But it was not behaving the way I expected and had not doubled after 12 hours so I gave it another couple of hours in the sun. It wasn’t looking great so I added 200g flour and 100g water and gave it yet another few hours in the afternoon sun. I then added 800g flour, 580g water and 20g salt after supper. Kneaded it up and let it rise for an hour and a half, then gave it a few letter folds, then let it rise again… It was still really not rising, so I left it for almost 6 hours before I divided and shaped it. Then I popped them into the fridge for an overnight proof and baked them up this morning!  Was approx. 36 hours start to finish.

Pardon the terrible knife work.