Rye Baker Fails: Franconia and Auvergne

Rye Baker Fails: Franconia and Auvergne

I was having fun with Borodinsky so I ploughed ahead with a black rye (not bad) and a Franconia and Auvergne from ryebaker.com. I’m pretty bummed by the results, particularly as I spent a lot of time sprouting, drying, milling rye and spelt flour.

I made a few steps that caused me problems:

  1. I got very focused on one thing (sprouting, drying, and milling a bunch of rye and spelt) and I tired myself out.
  2. I wanted to scald all that bran to soften it up but went with the recipe the first time… Franconia had a bit of bran chew my wife said she liked… I might prefer softer… with the subsequent Auvergne I didn’t sift out the bran for the last stage because I was tired out and trying to make breakfast for two at the same time. It also had a bit of a bran chew to it
  3. I tried reducing water and fermenting time to improve gluten control in Auvergne but it didn’t seem to help 
  4. I followed the temperature and times for Auvergne but it overbaked the crust (inside was still nice and moist)

Challenges and Options

  1. I can’t seem to develop the dough very much… remains clayish
  2. I think sifting and scalding or soaking the bran would help, then integrate it with the dough
  3. I wonder if autolysing the non rye flour and developing its gluten first then mixing it into the rye and sponge might work better
  4. I don’t really understand the complex baking steps for Auvergne… seems like a lot of heat for a long time. I would be tempted to cut 15 mins (5 mins per phase)

Franconia

Shaped loaves… but dough is more like the Borodinsky. No gluten strength. Had to handle with wet hands.

 

They spread out…

 

Firm slices, moist with a bit of grainy chewiness from bran but also a creaminess that I attribute to the fresh milled spelt. “Bread spices” are forward (fennel, star anise, caraway, coriander) with more anise upfront and caraway lasts the longest. Hint of sour. I look forward to tasting more of this toasted with butter or with cheese and prosciutto.

Auvergne

So much sprouting, drying and milling for this one. Sigh. Same issue with clay like dough. So I gave in and shaped it with wet hands and put it in pans. Ryebaker baked it as 2 boules.

It rose nicely and I cut the fermentation short by a half hour to avoid going too far.

Blah… These are overbaked. Crust is quite crisp (will probably soften once put into bags). Should’ve been watching to check its progress but I was tired and watching a chocolate making show on Netflix :p

Crumb turned out ok and it’s moist inside. It’s sliceable.

It’s only been a few hours so it’s too early to tell but a brief taste was a mild sour and… not a whole lot else. It didn’t taste like the effort I put into it at least right now. I had expected creaminess due to the large amount of spelt, but not there right now. But it may be better tomorrow.

Conclusions

My instincts said to scald bran but I went with the recipe first. In the future, I would scald.

In terms of effort and result, Borodinsky seems to have the most payoff to me.

However, I have been slicing and freezing my black rye, franconia, and auvergne to be eaten during the holiday break. So maybe freezing, toasting and toppings will reveal more.