Whole Einkorn and Rye Chocolate Chip Sablés
I’ve been meaning to make these sablés for some time. I’ve adapted a recipe I found in Jennifer Lapidus’ book Southern Ground.
YIELD: ABOUT 40 COOKIES
240g (2⅔ cups) whole-rye flour
270g (2¼ cups) whole einkorn flour
390g (1¾ cups) unsalted butter, at room temperature
180g (1 cup) granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
100g (4 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
For 20 cookies
120 g whole rye flour
135 g high whole einkorn flour
195 g unsalted butter room temperature
90 g granulated sugar and more for sprinkling
¼ tsp fine sea salt
50 g (2 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine the rye and all-purpose flours. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the salt, then add the flour in three increments, mixing until just incorporated after each addition before adding the next; be careful not to overmix. Add the chocolate and mix until evenly distributed.
- Divide the dough in half and press each portion into a squared-off disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. Roll out the dough to ½ inch thick and cut it into 2-inch squares. Place them on a baking sheet 1 inch apart. Sprinkle the tops generously with sugar.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until golden brown on the edges. Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Once fully cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
These are definitely melt in your mouth delicious and so easy to make. This is the first time I’ve tried making a fully whole grain cookie and won’t be the last. The original recipe used high extraction all purpose flour which I do not have. Since we don’t need any gluten in a cookie, I decided to use whole einkorn instead since it is gluten poor and really delicious. Hope you give them a try!